Monday, July 16, 2012

back update

My mom was awesome enough to come up from Houston and has dutifully rubbed cream on my back 3 times a day, cleaned my apartment, done laundry, reached for things when I couldn't, basically she has been awesome. As the days have passed the coloring in my back isn't as firey red as it was, and the pain has decreased. Don't get me wrong. It's still pretty crazy looking and it still stings some, itches some, and sometimes is a little painful. It just feels more like a sunburn than actual pain which is great. As I write I am currently sitting back (probably not for too long though)! Something I haven't done since last Sunday!
My insane amount of supplies. Cream, antibiotics, 2 different pain meds, latex gloves, and gauze pads. (The box on the right are leftovers from when my dad was shot! I was surprised those didn't disintegrate when we touched them.)

Today I went to the dermatologist to see what he would say and make sure I was doing everything I should be. Since things were getting...better, I wasn't sure what all he would say other than keep doing what you're doing. When my doctor saw it he said it wasn't a staph infection, it was phytophotodermatitis. Excuse me, what?! Apparently it's when something, like citrus fruits, or celery, or other random things, touch your skin and then are exposed to the sun they can break out into a "rash." It shows up within 24 hours, check, and the reaction peaks at 48-72 hours, check.

My friends had been checking in on me, and several knew I had a doctor appointment today. When I told them what it was they were cracking me up with their responses. 

Emily: I googled it and you may have some in contact with some bad celery. You really shouldn't rub root vegetables on your body.
Sarah: Were you in the same pool as the dead guy? You should make your apartment pay for your medical bills. Also stop using the dead man's pool.
Angie: Well who the heck is trying to kill you by squirting your back towel full of juice?!

So basically it's going to take quite a long time for the redness and rash spots to fully go away. He said I could start running again, but I need to make sure to not work out past my discomfort in my back. So probably no Crossfit for another week or so. I'm just glad I know what it is now. I guess this means no more laying out for awhile. And no more swimming in the dead man pool.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad it's better! Also, seriously though...who put food juices on your towel or back in such weird splotches. I mean the only thing you did Saturday was go to the Highball. Maybe someone spilled a margarita on your back when we were dancing! Also, I burned my hand on st. patrick's day with my chi and it's still not back to it's normal color.

    ReplyDelete