Monday, July 23, 2012

glass cutting

I saw on Pinterest a way to cut glass to create drinking glasses, or other awesome things from wine bottles. While my dad was in town last weekend we tried it out.
All of the supplies, minus the nail polish remover.
So you wrap string around the bottle a few times and tie it. Once you do that you take the string off and you let it soak in nail polish remover for 10 seconds or so, and then put it back on the glass where you want it to be cut. Then you light it on fire! (I made dad do this. After my whole back fiasco, I didn't think luck was on my side and figured it would be better if the glass shattered all over my dad instead of me.) You turn the bottle around in circles until the fire totally goes out.
Once the fire goes out you put the glass in ice water. You don't need to use a tub, but we did because we weren't sure if the glass would totally shatter or not. 
The second it touched the water the top popped off! Dad and I both jumped not expecting it to happen so fast. We then sanded it down, and now it's ready to be a drinking glass!
We tried this on wine bottles, but no matter what we changed (the amount of times around the bottle, the amount of time soaking in nail polish remover) we couldn't get the top to separate from the bottle. BUMMER! I'm going to try it again though. The only thing I can think of is putting in more ice and making it colder? It wasn't as cold as when we started because we ran out of ice, so that's the only thing I can think of. I'll let you know if I'm successful in later attempts.

If you've done this before and had success on wine bottles, please tell me how you did it in the comments section!

No comments:

Post a Comment