Thursday, July 12, 2012

i've always wanted to ride in an ambulance


Before I get into the explaining, there are some gross pictures of my back. This is your warning so you aren't allowed to complain about the gross pictures.

I need to back up to Sunday to explain what happened yesterday. I went out to the pool on Sunday and was laying out for about an hour, not too long. That afternoon I looked at my back and it looked like a sunburn, but it was patchy, so I wasn't sure it was a sunburn. Ever since then it's gotten redder and more painful. It's been so painful I haven't been able to sit back or put any pressure on it since Sunday. I was with some friends Tuesday night and they were really worried about it and said I needed to go to the doctor. We tried googling it too, but couldn't figure out what was wrong.
Tuesday night
 Wednesday night. The white stuff is the cream.

Yesterday, Wednesday I was able to get a doctors appointment in the morning which I was glad about. When the doctor came in she looked at it and said it could be shingles but probably not because shingles sticks to one side of your back. She then said she was going to touch it, I don't really know why. She decides she wants to touch the worst spot super hard, and I have literally never felt so much pain in my life. When she stopped touching it it felt like all my nerves were still on fire. 10 seconds later I tell her I'm feeling really light headed and the next thing I know I'm laying down on the table and she's asking me what my name is, what year it is, and where I am. (The doctor at the hospital said when you are in excruciating pain like I was you can literally pass out from the pain. That's what happened to me.) She was also super panicky in her voice which was really helpful for me and my nerves. At this point they're giving me oxygen, IV's, checking my blood pressure, checking my sugar levels, etc.

I started feeling better and about 10 minutes later I tell the nurse I am insanely hot. She said that was normal-I don't believe her-and she starts fanning me off. I then start to feel like I'm going to pass out again and tell her this and she starts kicking the door to get another nurses attention to get the doctor. The doctor takes my blood pressure again and it was 70/30! She starts almost yelling for crash cart cardio sensors or something, and then said call 911 we need an ambulance here now. WHAT?! At this point I think the only reason I didn't pass out again was because I was trying to pay attention to everything she was saying. 

The EMS guys come and get me on a gurney and at this point I'm feeling pretty ok. Scared, but ok. When we got into the ambulance the EMS guy said he would take my picture so I could put it on facebook. I also asked if it was a free ride since I was a teacher and we were LITERALLY going across the street. No joke. Across the street. I should have just walked. I get to the hospital and they put in an IV and a second one with an antibiotic, take tons of blood, and two different doctors come in to look at my back. They said the fainting had nothing to do with my back, it was just I vaggled or something from the pain. All of my blood tests were totally normal, and he said he thought it's a sunburn that got a staph infection. He said if it doesn't get better in 3-4 days I need to go see my dermatologist. I have antibiotics I have to take, cream to put on my back 3 times a day, and they gave me pain meds to take as needed. 

All in all I wouldn't have had to go to the ER if that first doctor wasn't an idiot and pushed my back so hard. My mom is here and she's going to stay until my back is better so she can put the cream on. My back still hurts, of course, but hopefully the pain meds will help with that. And that, is my insane story about what happened to me yesterday.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh!! So glad u are ok! I have never heard of such a thing....makes for a pretty awesome story though! Take it easy and rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your getting better, lady! We need to get our karaoke on when you better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa baby!! I saw on Dr. Oz that gluten allergies can cause similar issues, so we (Dr. Oz and I) would have been wrong also. So glad you're ok...rest up and feel better!!!
    -Jess

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg I was so scared. I hope you are ok and get better soon! Much love from the bells

    ReplyDelete
  5. Courtney!!! Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I'm glad your mom is there and I hope you feel better VERY VERY soon! :)

    ReplyDelete