Wednesday, July 6, 2011

franklin barbecue

For the past month I have heard about Franklin Barbecue at least once a week. Apparently this place started out as a food truck and was so popular he opened up a restaurant. It was recently voted the best BBQ in the nation, and as someone who loves BBQ and has grown up around some amazing food I was skeptical it truly was the best in the nation. It opens at 11 and I was told if you don't get there by 10:30 don't bother because they close whenever they run out of food. Ok, so maybe they really are that good? A few friends of mine and I decided to finally try this place and see what it was all about. We got there at 10 and there were already about 50 people in line in front of us. Another thing to note, you wait outside, in the heat, for however long it takes.


The line wrapped around the building by 10:30.

Heather, Alli, and I. (Larry took the picture)
 

So we waited an hour for the place to open, and another 30 before we even got to the door. While we waited one of the girls that worked there walked around selling beer for those waiting outside in the heat. Another worker even came around asking how much brisket we all planned on ordering. Not quite sure why. Maybe to go ahead and crush some of the suckers dreams that got there too late? Once we got to the door, our dreams were crushed.


Just kidding! They were putting the sign up on the door by 11:30 for the newbies joining the line. Apparently they are usually sold out by 1 or 1:30. That is nuts! It took about another 30 minutes before we even ordered our food. While we waited we already talked about how we weren't coming back unless it blew us away. (Waiting 2 hours for food, without even knowing if you'll get any is a little ridiculous.)

Well, it was freaking AMAZING! I think I said yum after every bite of food. See the brisket over there, that one piece that looks all black? That's right, I got an end that is 80% bark, and I could not have been happier.

Because I am such an awesome daughter, sister, and sister-in-law I ordered half a pound of their brisket, sausage, pork ribs, and pulled pork to share with my family tomorrow. (I'm going to Houston and Rebecca, Michael, and Miles are coming into town as well.) After we all took our first bite we looked at each other and said, so what are you doing next Wednesday?


It really does live up to all of the hype! I plan on telling everyone I know that they need to go ASAP. Maybe I should have ordered enough to have to carry it in a box like some of the other patrons did...maybe next time.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! That looks sooooo good! My tummy is rumbling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. eeeeeh....2 hours in the sun just doesn't make me wanna go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angie, I'm taking you! It's totally worth it!!

    ReplyDelete