Monday, July 11, 2011

coasters

Spoiler alert, many of you will be getting this latest obsession as Christmas/birthday gifts! Today's craft is making coasters! They are so cheap and so cool when they are all finished!! I got tiles at Home Depot for 16 cents each, and scrapbook paper at Paper Source for $1.25 a sheet (each sheet can make 6-9 coasters depending on how much white I want showing on the sides), and a pack of 48 felt guards for $6.50. I already had everything else needed. (Paper cutter and fancy scissors not shown)

After gathering all materials, Angie and I got to work! First you put a layer of Mod Podge down, then your paper. After it dries you put a coat on top, wait for it to dry and do it 2 more times. Once it's all dry you spray it with clear, water resistant spray, put the felt guards on the bottom, and you're done!!

Yes, I'm aware my map coasters are from London and Paris and I've never been to either place. But they looked so cool! And yes, I'm also aware I made 10 coasters and never have that many people over at the same time. And yes, I'm aware my coffee table is so crappy I don't even need or use coasters. And yes, I plan on making more for myself.

I'm already looking through my old scrapbook paper for more paper I want to use. I'm also thinking about doing some collage coasters. Maybe even some with old timey photos...man I am getting excited thinking about it!

1 comment: