Friday, July 8, 2011

crackling sucks

I have this little table thing by my door that I hate. It's this ugly light wood, and I have been looking for a replacement for it for awhile now. It's much harder than it seems since everyone wants to sell something similar for more than $50 or it's ugly. Well I came across a website that showed how you could crackle something yourself! Done and done. Especially since I would only need to buy blue paint since my parents happen to have everything else I would need.

Before with some of my supplies.

I sanded it down, primed it, then painted it black.

Luckily my dad had some scrap wood he let me use to test out crackling first.

Too goopy.


The left turned out pretty good, but too much blue. When I tried using less blue paint it just looked crappy. So I decided to change my plan. I painted the entire thing blue, let it dry (in our heat it only took about an hour to dry) and then sanded it all down to make it look distressed.


I got some really cool knobs from Anthropologie, but the screw part on the back was too long so I got to use a hacksaw for the first time! Luckily dad was able to keep all of his fingers. I was a little worried, but I didn't tell him that. Who else would hold the knob for me while I sawed right next to their hand? Not Rebecca, that's for sure!


All done! It looks pretty awesome, and it looks great in my apartment. I already have my next 2 crafts planned. Once school starts back I don't know how I will be able to craft and teach!

1 comment:

  1. cute!!! i wonder why the crackle didn't work?? what are your next craft plans? i better be in on these. i think i'm going to start the newspaper wreath next week at some point.

    ReplyDelete