Wednesday, February 2, 2011

worst. day. ever.

OK, I get that saying today is the worst day ever is a little over dramatic, but after the day I had, I don't care. Today with the wind chill it was 7 when I woke up. I drove to school like normal and noticed as I got closer it was a lot darker outside than normal. Everything came together for me when I drove up to school and realized there was no power. So I walk into the school and there are already a few teachers standing in the dark (with a few emergency lights) talking about what the hell is going on. Turns out we have no power, and yet school will continue as normal. Portable people will have class in the cafeteria because their (our) portables are so freaking cold because the walls are paper thin. Awesome. I get to try to teach 20 bonkers kids in the cafeteria with at least 8 other classes going all the way to 4th grade.

When the announcements come on we decide to go to the classroom and pack up our backpacks with stuff and walk back to the cafeteria for warm up. We edit our sheets, check it, and power comes on. Great! We can go back to our classroom (even though our heater sucks and the room won't be warm for at least 2 hours). We get back there, and within 5 minutes the power is out again. So I'm annoyed and make my kids stay in there, and I tell them to bundle up because we aren't leaving. An hour and a half later we are all shivering so we go into the library this time with 2 other second grade classes. (Did I forget to mention they have to take a flashlight to go to the bathroom? Did I also forget to tell you I was wearing tights, jeans, heavy socks, Uggs, a long sleeved shirt, sweater, jacket, scarf, hat, and gloves and I was still cold all day? And yet school still wansn't cancelled? Just checking.)

The power continues to go off and on all day, and every time it's off longer than it's on. Because of this the heater isn't on long enough to warm the school up. Of course every time the lights go on or off my kids decide it's necessary to yell. Thanks. That's helping my headache and frustration level. At one point when this happened one of my kids, while writing and not to anyone in particular said, "UGH! This is the worst day ever!" My sentiments exactly kid.

Apparently Texas can't handle the extreme usage of power going on because of this arctic blast, and so they have enabled a state-wide rolling blackout. Of course, we were lucky enough at my school to have an entirely different power problem that no one was able to figure out. Who knows if we will even have power tomorrow. 

Now I can already see Rebecca and other Northerners rolling their eyes at this post thinking, Chicago had their first snow day in 12 years, get over it! I am also assuming Rebecca is thinking that she is pregnant, ready to pop, and is screwed if it happens (I hope they choose the sled route.) so I should stop complaining about my day. Well, this is Texas, and this is our typical winter. I just hope school is cancelled tomorrow. I don't this any of us want to see each other so soon.

2 comments:

  1. I would say "boo-hoo" to you but at least I got to stay inside all day. Although even if I wanted to leave, I couldn't. Because we got 20 inches of snow. And 20 inches of snow doesn't just melt. So I'm stuck here for who knows how long. So nevermind. Boo hoo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about you today...did you have heat? Any chance school was/is going to be cancelled?

    ReplyDelete