Wednesday, March 28, 2012

it was going to happen at some point


Sunday I ran in the Cap 10k. I was excited about running it because I've heard about it since I've lived here in Austin, which is going on 10 years now. Well, everything started off great! That is, until about mile 1. I got the most intense, sharp cramp on my side. It was so bad I had to stop to walk. I wasn't sure how to fix it, so I started squeezing it, poking it, rubbing it until it went away. It finally went away and I started running again. Of course, it came right back. I didn't stop to walk right away thinking maybe if I breathed differently it would help. It didn't really. So basically the rest of my race was me running for a few minutes, and then stopping to walk until the cramp went away, and then I would run again. I finished with a pace of 11:48 which is way off my normal pace. My current pace has been anywhere between 10:30-11:00 minutes. I was so mad I sprinted the last half mile to try to make up for lost time.


This was my 13th race, and the first 12 have all been great! I guess it was time for me to have a bad race. Not only was I having cramping issues, it was also ridiculously hot. It was a pretty miserable morning. But like Katie said, I didn't throw up or give up. I can be proud of that. Now the training continues for the 10/20 race coming up, and then the Run to the Sun 2 weeks after that. Hopefully I will be back on my game for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment