Tuesday, March 23, 2010

black history month biographies

One of my favorite things we do during Black History Month is my students pick a famous African American, and then they research that person. They then make a cut art person to go with their writing. One of my readers, Laura, I know is missing these, so here are some good ones. The first few are awesome, and then they become more....interesting. Please look carefully at each one so you don't miss a thing!

Mae Jemison-astronaut



Marian Anderson-singer (I love that she looks like a Muppet!)



Philis Wheatley-writer (I had to ask the kid that made this why she was holding a duster since she was a writer. He then gave me a look of total confusion and said, "That's her writing plume. Duh!"


Jesse Owens-I'm a fan of the wonky neck and different arm lengths



Condoleezza Rice-LOVE her hair and tiny hands


I can't take credit for this last one. This is one of Nichole's kids, but I HAD to include it. It is by far my FAVORITE!!! I'll let you digest everything you are seeing before I say anything...

Benjamin Bennaker

I am dying right now looking at this again. Please note the box shoes over the feet-with the feet popping out both ends. Also notice the crazy arms! He traced his own hands (which are pretty big) for his person. The mouth is bigger than the face. The hair...he walked over to Nichole with only that weird white patch on the side and said he was done. Nichole told him to put more hair on his person, and he added a single tuft on the top of his head. Finally, you sadly can't see in the picture, but he drew a pig nose. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing! I took me back! Oh, cut-art people, how I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. when your blog only has one comment, it says "one comments". i made this comment simply to fix the grammar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that the drawings are actually pretty darn close to what they looked like in real life. I mean, Marion Anderson, Phyllis Wheatley and Jesse Owens are def recognizable. This is my favorite assignment. Please continue to do this everyday until the end of the school year. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete