Wednesday, June 19, 2013

summer quest

Angie decided this summer that she was going on a donut quest. She was going to find the best donut in Austin, and she has been recording her quest on Vine. (an app where you can make 6 second videos) I've been watching her videos everyday, and everyday am jealous I couldn't invite myself along. So I decided yesterday that I was going to go on my own summer quest. I started googling bakeries that have gluten free & dairy free cupcakes. Sadly, most places that do that make you order at least a half dozen cupcakes, instead of just 1. So, I changed the parameters to the best sweet treat I could find. I started a list of places to visit, and decided I would start with the Wheatsville Coop.

Although I have driven by it probably a hundred times (it's on the drag by campus), I had never actually gone inside. It's just like any small grocery store like Sprouts. I headed to their baked goods case to see what was available for me. There were brownies (boring), rice crispie treats (peanut butter inside? no thanks), and pumpkin chocolate chip whoopie pies (don't mind if I do). I mean come on, which would you choose?
Look at this delicious looking little morsel!

At $2 a pop, it's a pretty good deal for a gluten free, vegan treat, even if it is pretty small. I grabbed it and brought it home to eat. On my first initial bite, it was delicious and light! I ate a bite of just the cream and it was really good and not too sweet. The pie part was not overly sweet either in part, I'm guessing, to the pumpkin. Although I couldn't taste the pumpkin very much because of the chocolate chips and cream flavors taking over. It was really moist and not crumbly which was awesome! (Those of you that eat gluten free know that this can be a problem.) I don't eat sweets very much anymore because they're so hard to find for me with my crazy allergies, so it started to get a little too sweet for me at the end. 

Overall it was delicious! Next time I will just eat half and save the rest for later....if I can.

Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment