Sunday, June 23, 2013

sugar circus

Today was stop #2 on my sweet treat quest! I was really excited heading there, because if I like it they have a different flavor every week. (only one flavor a week is GF/DF) This place was really far east, in a ghetto neighborhood. The outside of the shop is super cute, but looked really out of place between run down buildings. Walking in the loud metal music threw me off. I guess I was expecting circus music, and kids skipping around in a circle holding hands. 

When I got the cupcake the lady helping me, one of the owners/bakers, and I started talking about how hard it is to find good food that's both gluten and dairy free. She was super nice and even asked if I had a request for next week because she hadn't decided what she was going to make. How awesome?! A baker, who bakes (hopefully good) stuff I can eat, willing to make whatever flavor I want! I paid the $2.98 and merrily went on my way.

It was refrigerated so I had to wait awhile for it to get to room temp like she said I should. When I took it out of it's travel case, I immediately was surprised of the color. I've had (and made) strawberry cupcakes and they're usually bright pink with some strawberry chunks. This one had a few chunks, but the color was as if the cake had barely any strawberry in it. The icing was sweet, with a slightly strange after taste. Not bad, just...I couldn't place what it was. The cake tasted a little overcooked, and I couldn't taste any strawberry. Boo.

I'm willing to try again when they have a different flavor, and will buy at the beginning of the week when it's at its freshest instead of the last day of their baking week. Oh well. On to the next!

Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment