Wednesday, October 12, 2011

parent-teacher conferences

One of the worst things about teaching in Austin is that you HAVE to do parent-teacher conferences twice a year. For some kids it's really great because I need to talk to the parents about something that is going on with them either academically or behaviorally. But for the rest of them? A waste of both of our times because they are doing fine, and are awesome. Anyways, conferences were this past Monday. Overall they went really well, but I did have 2 really funny things that happened. 

1. One of the families that came in are from Asia and have many beliefs about school, performance, etc. that I'm sure everyone has heard/read/experienced before. The dad said something about that he wasn't going to let his daughter go to as many birthday parties this year because it just gets to be too much. (Agreed!) And then he said, "Parents at this school just love their kids too much! They give in too much." Oh man I loved that! I wish I could have laughed, but he probably would have been offended when I just thought what he said was funny.

2. One of the mom's came in and her son came in towards the end and she asked if he had anything else that he wanted us to talk about. He whispered in her ear and she said you need to tell her yourself. So then he said, "Well, (for the purpose of this we will call her Dolores) Dolores won't call me my name. She keeps calling me dude. Dude, dude, dude, dude. Ugh. Dolores is so annoying. Why doesn't she just call me my name?" Luckily he was looking at his mom while I stifled my laughter. She looked at me and made the same face I assume I was currently making. When he walked back out of the room we both started laughing. One of the best things was the way he said dude. It was more like dood...I don't think that cleared it up. Well, whatever.

I had 4 make ups yesterday, and 2 more tomorrow and then I'll be done. Finally! Hopefully I will finally start sleeping again after Thursday. One can only hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment