Monday, March 21, 2011

gross

I'm sure if I haven't said it yet on this blog, I've said it to you in person that kids are gross. Mostly because they never wash their hands, EVER. We even have signs on the bathroom doors that they have to look at on their way out reminding them to wash their hands. Because I know my kids are gross, I can't even imagine the rest of the kids in the school. As a teacher I have a pretty awesome immune system. I rarely get sick minus my yearly cold or two. 

However, horror struck me as I got...pink eye! I have never had pink eye before in my life, so the Monday it started itching and getting red and goopy I went and asked Heather what was wrong with me since she was a mom and she should know. 

Super duper pink before going to bed. Gross.


Well needless to say I couldn't go to school the next day when I woke up and was only able to open one eye. I literally had to pry my eye open in order to see out of it.

It's opened and cleaned. This was as wide as I could open it. I tried really hard and this was the best I could do. It hurt trying to open it that wide too.

Swollen, pink, gross.

I went to the doctor and he gave me medicine for my eye. I was paranoid because I didn't want to get it in the other eye, or infect anyone else. Of course he also said it looked like my other eye was already infected so I should start putting the medicine in both eyes. Awesome. Both of my eyes hurt like hell all day. They itched, but when I itched them (and then of course immediately washed my hands afterwards) it hurt even worse than before! 

He said once I started the medicine I was OK to go back to school and wouldn't give it to anyone else. Last thing I needed was a class full of pink eye and me getting it again before I went to Chicago. I was totally fine and not contagious anymore once I left for Chicago, but my doctor said I had to go the full 5 days of putting medicine on to keep me un-contagious (is that even a word?) and said I was fine to go to Chicago and see my new cute nephew without a problem.

Of course Rebecca saw my eyes had some stuff on it (the liquid medicine had gooped up on my eyelashes...oops) and when she asked what was wrong I said my eyes were irritated and my doctor just told me to put it on. Of course she didn't believe me and freaked out and asked if I had pink eye while she literally scooted away from me. I lied, not very convincingly and luckily she dropped it. Even though my doctor said I was good and clear, I didn't want to tell Rebecca because I knew she would freak out the entire time  I was there.

I am pink eye free, and keeping my medicine on hand in case another gross kid gives it to me. The joys of being a teacher.

3 comments:

  1. the whole time I was reading this I was thinking...I bet Rebecca is REALLY mad right about now. I was right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. did they make you put the medicine in the "trough" of your eye? this was the grossest word and part of pink eye for me....aside from having pink eye in both eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah when they were showing me what I needed to do, and used the word trough I wanted to throw up! I'm just glad it's all over.

    ReplyDelete