Thursday, October 4, 2012

grandma love

I often have parents/grandparents/aunts/etc. come and have lunch with their kids. It's super sweet. However, I have a grandma that has come twice and then hung out in the classroom for awhile after lunch. Just hanging out, watching me teach. I feel badly mostly because she doesn't want to go because it's so clear her grandson doesn't want her to go. Unfortunately...I had to put a stop to this today. Just an FYI, I had this conversation at the end of the day, not when grandma was in the room.

Me: I am SO happy that your grandma comes and has lunch with you! I wish I could have lunch with my grandma. But you need to say goodbye to her at the door so you won't be distracted with her in here. I bet she wants you to be the best learner you can be!
Immediately he started crying.
Me: What's wrong? Why are you so sad?
Student: I just love my grandma too much! I don't want to say goodbye to her ever!
Me: I understand. I feel the same way!
Student: (sobbing at this point) I don't want her to go! Can I just rest for a minute?
Me: Of course. I will set the timer for 2 minutes, and when it goes off you can get back to work.
Student: Ok....

Poor kid. I felt like the worst human ever. I'm nervous about how that conversation will be retold tonight and if I will be getting an email from mom. Or worse, grandma.

2 comments:

  1. What if the grandma dies soon? You are going to feel really bad. Just saying..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, you did the right thing! That would be distracting!

    ReplyDelete