Sunday, October 28, 2012

foam fest 5k

Last weekend some friends and I ran in the Foam Fest 5k. It was a lot of fun! Larry, Lauren, Emily and I decided to camp the night before in the same park where the run was happening. I haven't been real camping, tent and all since my dad I went when I was a kid. I've been camping since then, but in a cabin. The first problem was the tent which wasn't too bad, even though we had some extra poles we didn't know what to do with. But it never fell down on us so we must have done it right. The next problem was a fire. We all know how to start a fire, but none of us knew how to make it bigger, or one to warm yourself with. It was big enough to cook our food, but it didn't help us stay warm as the temperatures dropped.

See what I mean? Our little fire is sad, but it was good enough. It was really weird waking up to all of the bouncy foam pits and slides being blown up around us. That morning Katie and Derrick met us down there for the run. It was hilly, ugh, and had a lot of obstacles throughout. Some muddy, some where we had to climb different things, including an 8 foot wall I couldn't make it over, and lots of foam pits. There were also several foam slip n slides, and the best was a HUGE blow up slide with a water pit at the end. After getting to the bottom all I wanted was to go back up!
Us at the starting line.
 Jumping down from 1 of the 3, 5 foot walls we had to climb.

One of the obstacles, called the lily pads, were basically a bunch of thick yoga mats on water that you had to sprint across and then jump off into shallow water to get back on the course. I was having a lot of fun running and falling and then running again, until I got to the end. I started falling over and was trying to catch myself and just as I was about to jump off, the mats flew to the left and I fell to the right into a big pile of rocks. My knee was immediately starting to swell and was crazy scratched up. I still did all of the rest of the obstacles, I think mostly on adrenaline, and finished strong by walking then running down a log over a mud pit, and going through the longest slip n slide of the race. 

My leg after I got home and washed it really well. It is crazy bruised all over my leg. My kids at school love looking at it and commenting how it changes every day.
 Finishers!

It was a super fun race! I would totally do it again, except next time I won't fall into rocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment