Sunday, April 25, 2010

caterpillars

It's that time of year again, we got our caterpillars at school. The kids love them and can't stop looking at them. They especially love that they can say the word frass (caterpillar poop) constantly and not get in trouble. One of my kids started shaking their cup last week and I said, "Stop! You're scaring the frass out of him!"

So Thursday after school I decided to try something new. I decided to put them into our butterfly pavilion to make their j's and chrysalis instead of them doing it in their cups and me transferring. While I was doing this I was reminded of my bonehead move my first year teaching. So that year I was constantly telling the kids not to touch the cake containers (what I used before the pavilion) because if they touched them the chrysalides would fall and they would all die. So they were awesome, didn't touch it, nothing fell, it was great...until one morning. I was standing on a chair putting something on the wall above the containers, and on my way down my hand hit one of the containers and it fell on the floor! And of course, every single chrysalis fell as well.

I started freaking out! I ran next door and asked Nichole what I should do. I decided in that moment there was NO WAY I was going to tell them the truth. I mean, how can I cop to doing what I kept telling them not to do?! So when they came in that morning I told them the bad news, and that the janitor was the person responsible. I know, it was wrong for me to blame the janitor, but better them be mad at him than me. So far this year I've only knocked one off, but luckily we have so many no one will know. I'll be curious if they all make it this weekend. We may even have some butterflies on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment