Monday, February 20, 2012

conferences

Spring conferences are student led which are awesome because the kids get to talk to their parents and tell them everything they've been learning, the parents feel like they get a real sense for what their kids have learned, and how deep our learning is, and they finish before lunch. I love eavesdropping on the kids while they're talking to their parents to hear how they explain different things. One kid that cracks me up kept telling her parents, "Focus guys, you need to be serious." Her parents were really cracking me up with some of the things they were saying to her and asking her about her work. If I hadn't known better I would've said they were drunk. 

Another mom decided to call me out on my incorrect use of an apostrophe and said, "You should cover that up because my son is doing it now." Seriously? I can guarantee you he has never even paid attention to the sign with the apostrophe on it. She then gave me a lesson on apostrophes. Yeah right like I'm covering it up. I will leave it up even longer now thank you very much.

The best? One of the moms pulled me aside and told me about her son getting me chocolate for Valentine's Day. They all know I can't have dairy or gluten, and they know I love dark chocolate because it's yummy and doesn't have milk in it. So for Valentine's Day she said he was very insistent on getting me dark chocolate so they went to Central Market. She said they were there for over 30 minutes while he tried finding the perfect dark chocolate. When he finally picked out the right one he said it wasn't Valentine's-y enough so he made her buy me cookies with hearts on it even though he said I couldn't eat it. I don't think I've ever had someone take over 30 minutes just to pick out chocolate for me. How sweet!

1 comment:

  1. Apostrophe lesson? Doesn't she know who you are?? Rude. Also, that kid sounds really really sweet. Pretty sure you should wait for him then marry him. He's a keeper.

    ReplyDelete