Sunday, July 7, 2013

field mojo

My friend Laura, who is new to Austin, started joining groups on this site called Meetups. It's a really cool idea. There are all different types of groups; singles living up north, geeks who drink, couple outings, wino Wednesdays (yes, I joined that group), etc. and it's a way to get to know the city, get to know new people, whatever. She asked me to go with her to play field mojo on Saturday, which after reading a little about it I was quite confused. But I thought, why not, I can meet new people as well! I also dragged Sheri along which she was thrilled about. She tried to get out of it, but I didn't allow it.

So this game is a cross between kickball, dodgeball, and tag. Oh, and keep away. It's insane. There are also 6 different colored balls in case you weren't already confused, with chasers, kickers, and fielders. We also played with 3 teams. Confused yet? Yeah. That's how most of us were even after an explanation, a demonstration, and us playing. I feel I finally got a handle on it when the game was over.

Anyways, the whole point is to kick a ball and get from one end of the playing field to the other without getting tagged by a ball. You also have chasers which are your bodyguards that can knock balls away, whatever they need to do to keep you from getting out. So my first time to kick I start running with a chaser and get beamed really hard on my arm, but the chaser guarding me said he tagged him out first and I was safe so I should keep running. Well this started a huge argument between both teams on what happened first and the game had to be paused. I didn't even understand what was happening and was starting drama. Then on my way back to try to score the same chaser was guarding me and grabbed me at one point and spun me around to not get hit by the ball and then he pushed me in the direction I should keep running. It was all quite stressful. In the end though it was a lot of fun, and I would totally play it again! Just not with crazy people that are competitive and just want to win.

After the game, and our team coming in a respectable second, they tried to convince us to play another game. I just wanted a beer after running around for 2+ hours in this crazy heat and we told people where we would be after the second game if they wanted to join us. To my surprise, at least half of the people came! Sheri, Laura and I had a really great time, and we even got the number of this super funny gay guy that is going to take us to some club where they twerk. You should look it up, it's hilarious. All in all, well done Meetups and Field Mojo!

2 comments:

  1. That sounds fun! I saw they're having a game this weekend and looked it up and saw this blog. I'm gonna go, hope it's not too confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just got back from the game, no arguing. :J) Thanks for the tip, it was fun.

    ReplyDelete