Monday, February 25, 2013

the oscars, 2013 edition

Last year I had my first official Oscars party. I made a ton of food, won a bunch of money, and had a great time. This year the new tradition continued. Usually I see most of the movies up for best picture, but this year the only movies I saw were Mirror Mirror and Snow White and the Huntsman. Not a good showing for me. I think that helped though. I typically will do my research and then change things based on the movies I saw because I really liked one, or the acting, etc. Because I hadn't seen anything, my emotions and usual switching didn't happen. The outcome? I did the best I ever have! I only missed 2! That will probably never happen again, so I'm basking in the glow of my incredible ass kicking. Anyways, on to the food!

All of my food labels and decorations laid out.
The betting station. For those of you (ahem, Rebecca) who are protesting my win, you can clearly see from the ballot I filled out before everyone arrived that I dominated.
Antipasto plate, freshly popped popcorn, and bipolar hummus (Silver Linings Playbook). I made regular hummus and then my sun dried tomato hummus and put them side by side.
Most of the food was based around the 2 movies set in the Middle East (Argo, Zero Dark Thirty) and the 2 set in the south (Django Unchained, Beasts of the Southern Wild). I made fattoush and kaftas (kabobs) with a yogurt dipping sauce which I called Frankenkaftas, since I made them smaller and Franken"weenie" like. I also made djambalaya and Beasts of the Southern Wild Rice. There were also loaves of stolen bread from Les Mis, and poisoned apples from Snow White.
I made Zero Dark Chocolate Pi (Zero Dark Thirty, and Life of Pi), and there were love and devotion bites for Amour.
It was a great night with friends, fun, and lots of food. Luckily most of it was eaten. I think I would have gotten sick of eating those leftovers forever. 

Cheers! Can't wait for next year!


1 comment: