Wednesday, June 20, 2012

laissez les bons temps rouler

For the past few years my teacher friends and I have been talking about taking a trip to New Orleans. (One of them is from there and has been wanting to take us and show us the city.) We finally made the plan and went this past weekend! The last time I was there I was 3. Since I don't remember that trip, this trip should just count as my first time there. We left Thursday and came back Sunday, the perfect amount of time. 

I knew some things to expect, like lots of drinking. But holy cow, I wasn't really expecting what happened. The first thing we did when we got to our hotel was head to the Carousel Bar inside our hotel for a drink. The main bar area was a circle and spun like a carousel! It was really cool.

One things I loved there were the old buildings and how cool and colorful all the doors were. We walked everywhere, getting tours by Heather and a mule drawn carriage we rode. I don't remember the last time I went on vacation and didn't get in a car once to drive somewhere. It was really nice being so close to everything.

Our second night there we went to a bar called the Blue Nile to hear Kermit Ruffins, an awesome jazz musician. (If any of you watch Treme, he is all over that show.) Apparently this guy usually plays at this bar in Treme and when he takes a break halfway through his set he cooks and serves BBQ outside to everyone listening to him play. (The Blue Nile isn't in Treme, this is another bar he plays in pretty often.) He put on a really great show!

At one point people started jumping on stage and singing with him and a girl I was talking to while there pulled me up with her. At one point Kermit put the mic on me and we sang together. He clearly knew who the most awesome person up there was.
(Sorry it's sideways. I couldn't get it to straighten out.)

Heather and I talked with him for awhile during his break. He totally loved us!
The drummer, Derrick also loved me.

We ate a ton of great food, heard a lot of amazing jazz music, and had the best time ever!

We've already started talking about and planning our trip for next year! Although next year I think I will just fly instead of drive for 9 hours.

1 comment: