Sunday, May 1, 2011

new tradition


It's crazy to think that a year ago I ran my first race with Jillian, Crissy and Jane. I read that runners are superstitious (I guess most athletes are) and very ritualistic. I decided that since the Bun Run was my first official race, that I would make it my yearly tradition. Running the same race a year later was a strange thing, but awesome at the same time. It was really cool to see how far I've come as a runner in a year.

Last year we were towards the back of the pack, walking a lot, and struggling to catch our breath. (At least I was.) If Crissy hadn't been there to push me and cheer me on, I'm sure I would have finished second to last. Second to last only because I'm competitive and would have made sure I wasn't the loser. But this year, I was towards the middle. Maybe even the middle front!

Last year we were being passed by the young, moms pushing strollers, and old people that shouldn't be beating us. This year I was passing all of those suckers! Last year we ran it in 39 minutes. This year, I ran it in 32:46! That is less than 11 minute miles! AND I even walked 3 times for a minute a piece! I even improved from my last 5k in July by over 4 minutes. 

Needless to say today was a good run, and a good day.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your improvement and for sticking with running for a whole year (and probably a lifetime!) That is a huge accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete