Monday, April 4, 2011

kids these days

We started a week long unit on famous women (my boys were pissed and didn't get why we weren't going to do a study on famous men). The first thing I had them do was write down a list of famous women they have heard of and why they were famous. Here are some of the women they named:

  • Rosa Parks
  • Harriet Tubman
  • Helen Keller
  • Taylor Swift
  • Lady Gaga
  • Hannah Montana
  • Miley Cyrus (yes, one student had both Hannah and Miley, I don't think she gets that it's the same person)
  • Fergie
  • Britney Spears (it's unclear if it's pre or post head shaving)
The only reason the first two were named is because we just studied them. After hearing the lists they made, I said "See guys, this is nuts. You are only naming are famous pop singers. This is why we need to learn about famous women that actually made a contribution to our world."


We also took a measurement test today. Part of what they need to be able to do in second grade is know how to measure things, as well as be able to estimate measurements. One of their questions was "About how many inches tall is a CD case." Easy enough, the choices were:
  1. 5 centimeters
  2. 5 inches
  3. 5 feet
  4. 5 yards

I had 4 kids come up and ask what a CD case was. I asked them if they knew what a CD was and only 3 of them said yes, but they didn't know what their cases looked like. WHAT?! Before anyone else asked me, I had to pull out a CD case just so my kids could answer the question. 

RIP CD's and CD cases. You had a good run there.

No comments:

Post a Comment