Tuesday, May 4, 2010

holy cow...

So today was an interesting day. One of my parents came up and said that her daughter has been getting quite an education on the playground from another student. I asked what was going on, and apparently her daughter is being told all about sex, and that "your private parts have to go together before you get married." So not only is her daughter finding out about sex, but she's also getting a modern take on sex. She then said they had a long conversation about sex because she wanted to make sure her daughter was getting accurate information.

I did not have this conversation with my mom. THANK GOD! Instead, she handed me two books. One about sex, and the other about puberty. She then said, if you have any questions, let me know. Of course my friend Missy and I had already found these books, and read them several times, laughing at all the pictures. I love, looking back on it, that the people in the book were big fat people. After looking these books up, I looked at the pictures inside, and I love all the graphics to help you understand better. Who knew sperm was so romantic?

So back to my day. The mom then tells me on Friday, the same girl told her daughter all about abortion! And that "you don't have to keep your baby. You can take a pill. My mom almost did it."....WHAT?! Shocked at what I was told, I walked and asked the assistant principal what I should do since I have never been in this position before with kids talk about abortion. I had to call the girls mom and tell her what is being said, and please talk to your daughter about what is appropriate for school. Of course I left out the part where I know that she may, or may not, have had an abortion.

1 comment:

  1. YIKES! That is definitely a new one. What did the mom say when you told her?

    ReplyDelete